One Stop Poetry prompt by Rob Hanson

One Stop – the One Shot Sunday prompt is this photograph, with it’s great detail and atmosphere taken by Rob Hanson.

Fingers stiff now, joints that burn
as they tap, stretch, stitch, turn;
back won’t straighten, shoulders bowed;
nothing borrowed, nothing owed;
tools aligned, spotless, worn;
pocketed apron, stained and torn
from days, months, years of wear
of shaping, working, no time spare
to wonder if I ‘know myself’, if I’m
fulfilled – just time to labour, time
to perfect each shoe, each pair a work
of art – no corners cut, details shirked,
my pride weaves the simplest task
into a masterpiece and so I ask
for nothing more, nothing less
than to always do my best.

This entry was posted in One Stop Poetry, poet, Uncategorized, writer, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Artisan

1. Elisa's Spot says:

I like that ‘knowing’ self think.

2. brian miller says:

a simple man, or artisan…refusing debt and taking only what is deserved…it speaks much of who he is…nicely played…

3. Ginny says:

Could imagine the aches in his shoulders, fingers from years at his craft. Enjoyed the picture you painted with your words. Beautifully done.

4. Anna says:

Really enjoyed your poem, the story of this life, and the rhyming.

5. dustus says:

I read this as an artistic anthem. From details of shop to personal details including financial, this is a well layered background for that amazing closing…
    “my pride weaves the simplest task
    into a masterpiece and so I ask
    for nothing more, nothing less
    than to always do my best.”
    Wow. Simply stated and resonates. I think its my favorite poem of yours so far.

Thank you Adam – the Sunday photo prompts are fast becoming my favourite task of the week – they are so evocative – thank you to One Stop for offering such great opportunities. I feel lucky to be writing in such good company.

6. You’ve captured the essence of Peter Limmer very well. I’m going to forward this link to him, as I believe he’d very much like to see what you’ve created.

Rob Hanson

7. wolfsrosebud says:

Nicely said… a lost art.

Thank you – it’s good to see a craftsman absorbed in his work to the extent that the camera cannot intrude, but accurately records.

8. Steve says:

I get the pride this gentleman shows in his work – there’s something about him that exudes pride – nicely put Sally !

9. great poem. the artisan seems like a great fellow.