Artisan

One Stop Poetry prompt by Rob Hanson

One Stop Poetry.com – the One Shot Sunday prompt is this photograph, with it’s great detail and atmosphere taken by Rob Hanson.

Artisan

Fingers stiff now, joints that burn
as they tap, stretch, stitch, turn;
back won’t straighten, shoulders bowed;
nothing borrowed, nothing owed;
tools aligned, spotless, worn;
pocketed apron, stained and torn
from days, months, years of wear
of shaping, working, no time spare
to wonder if I ‘know myself’, if I’m
fulfilled – just time to labour, time
to perfect each shoe, each pair a work
of art – no corners cut, details shirked,
my pride weaves the simplest task
into a masterpiece and so I ask
for nothing more, nothing less
than to always do my best.

This entry was posted in One Stop Poetry, poet, Uncategorized, writer, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Artisan

1. Elisa's Spot says:

I like that ‘knowing’ self think.

2. brian miller says:

a simple man, or artisan…refusing debt and taking only what is deserved…it speaks much of who he is…nicely played…

3. Ginny says:

Could imagine the aches in his shoulders, fingers from years at his craft. Enjoyed the picture you painted with your words. Beautifully done.

4. Anna says:

Really enjoyed your poem, the story of this life, and the rhyming.

5. dustus says:

I read this as an artistic anthem. From details of shop to personal details including financial, this is a well layered background for that amazing closing…
    “my pride weaves the simplest task
    into a masterpiece and so I ask
    for nothing more, nothing less
    than to always do my best.”
    Wow. Simply stated and resonates. I think its my favorite poem of yours so far.

Thank you Adam – the Sunday photo prompts are fast becoming my favourite task of the week – they are so evocative – thank you to One Stop for offering such great opportunities. I feel lucky to be writing in such good company.

6. You’ve captured the essence of Peter Limmer very well. I’m going to forward this link to him, as I believe he’d very much like to see what you’ve created.

Rob Hanson

7. wolfsrosebud says:

Nicely said… a lost art.

Thank you – it’s good to see a craftsman absorbed in his work to the extent that the camera cannot intrude, but accurately records.

8. Steve says:

I get the pride this gentleman shows in his work – there’s something about him that exudes pride – nicely put Sally !

9. great poem. the artisan seems like a great fellow.