More poetic prose than poetry!

Thanks to Fee Easton for the photo prompt for the One Stop Poetry Photo Challenge

This is not a poem really – much more like prose, but this is the way it came to me when I looked at this picture. Thank you Fee for the great prompts, and One Stop Poetry.com for giving me something to do on a dull Sunday afternoon…

It makes me think, when I sit by the sea.
Its vastness, its strength – how small are we
in comparison. The salt on my tongue,
sticky breeze in my hair, the whisper of waves
on the sand. Let’s just rest here, take a moment
together. The warmth of your arm touching
mine reminds me how lucky I am –
I have you by my side and we’ll gaze, hand in
hand, count the buoys, watch the swell, share our
secrets, dream our dreams,
in silence.

This entry was posted in One Stop Poetry, poet, sea, writer, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to More poetic prose than poetry!

1. Arron Palmer says:

Wow, without doubt one of my favourite prompt responses I’ve read today. Despite your disclaimer, I happen to believe this to be very poetic indeed, with it’s ‘lack’ of a conventional form really suited to the eclectically-conversational message of ‘let’s not do much, just sit here and take it in’. Extremely effortless excellence.

Thank you everyone from One Stop Poetry’s Photo Challenge, for your thoughtful and encouraging responses. The feedback is always encouraging and helpful. I just love the Sunday prompts and the friendly response from other OneStoppers.

2. dustus says:

Serenity in the contemplation of the enormity of the ocean. You capture its soothing effect and the intimacy it inspires.

3. ohh, Sally, tis verse alright. love your handling of the image. and yeah, you could have went prose poetry but I think you made wonderful choices 🙂

Monty

4. what a beautiful intimate moment you described..almost felt like an intruder to their silence..

5. ooh – just had to update my blog address…there was still the old one..

6. It’s where poetic imagery cross over into prose – it even has a name for the form! Very gentle

7. ayala says:

This sentiment I feel out in the ocean… How small we are compare to the vast ocean… It’s a nice moment you describe….

sometimes, just being together and silent says far more than our words ever could

9. To me, this shows the blur between poetry and prose. Lovely, thoughtful writing.

10. jinksy says:

I wonder why you didn’t choose to write this as prose, then? The 55 word option that One Shoot Sunday offers concentrates the mind wonderfully… Maybe next time give it a go? 🙂

Aah – I wasn’t really sure about that option. Being relatively new and a bear of very small brain, it had passed me by! I will look for another opportunity – maybe next week depending on the prompt. Thanks for the reminder.

11. Pingback: A streetcar named diwan | the arabophile